BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Husson University women's indoor track & field concluded their final invitational meet on Saturday at the Bowdoin Invitational #3 at Farley Field House and finished as runner-up with 144 points.
The women also obliterated the program's highest team finish and points' record in an invitational meet, which previously stood at 68 points and a 3rd place finish (2016).
Junior Kerianne Downing highlighted the meet with the most exciting event of the day by winning the Pentathlon with a total points of 2679 to qualify for the DIII New England Championships the third Eagle to qualify for the championship this season.
Downing facing just Loan Heilner from Colby in the event, Heilner won the 60 meter hurdles by .20 seconds over Downing with a time of 9.96. Downing came back to win the next two events in the pentathlon the long jump (4.42m) and the shot put with a personal best of 10.44m. They tied in the high jump with 1.48m and heading into the last event with a 181 points lead Downing had to win the 800 meter run to win the overall title. She took the lead with 150 meters left to go and held off a late challenge by Heilner to win by .03 with a time 2:53.13.
The Eagles saw three school records broken by Jayda Cabrera in the 60 meter dash (8.36), Casey Modery in the Triple Jump (10.15m), and Erin Ellison in the shot put (11.36m) and numerous personal best by Paige Rainford, Tamara Rodriguez, Modery, Ellison, Kashian, Cabrera, Faith Burnett, Natalie Bunton and Elizabeth Hilliard.
Bowdoin College claimed their final home invitational with 193 team points while Colby College was third with 65 points and New England College (36) was fourth.
- Cabrera finished 2nd in the 60 meter dash (8.36), 200 meter dash (27.85) and 7th in the long jump (4.11m)
- Katie Cotton was 3rd in the 60 meter dash (8.45) and won the 60 meter hurdles (10.02).
- Shea Curley placed 6th in the 60 meter dash (9.19) and 8th in the 200 dash (31.29).
- Samantha Berwick took 7th in the 60 meter dash (10.11) and 13th in the 200 meter dash (36.52).
- Rodriguez was 4th in the 200 meter dash (29.73), 5th in the long jump (4.25m) and in the triple jump (9.24m).
- Jessica Dessert finished 9th in the 200 meter dash (31.40), 3rd in the 60 meter hurdles (12.48) and in the pole vault (2.45m).
- Kelly Kashian placed 11th in the 200 meter dash (32.07), 2nd in the high jump (1:45m) and 6th in the long jump (4.15m).
- Morgan Clifford was 12th in the 200 meter dash (32.26) and 4th in the 400 meter dash (1:11.18).
- Rainford took 3rd in the 400 meter dash (1:10.11).
- Kathrine Medeiros finished 5th in the 400 meter dash (1:35.85).
- Alecia Palmer placed 2nd in the 1000 meter run (3:18.15) and 3rd in the pole vault (2.15m).
- The quartet of Rainford, Palmer, Medeiros and Curley combined to finish 2nd in the 4x200 meter relay with a 2:13.21.
- Modery was 3rd in the high jump (1.42m), 2nd in the long jump (4.71m) and in the triple jump (10.15m).
- Jaclyn MacDonald took 3rd in the pole vault (2.30m) and 9th in the shot put (6.72m).
- Ellison placed 3rd in the shot put (11.36m).
- Burnett finished 5th in the shot put (9.86m) and in the weight throw (11.15m)
- Bunton was 8th in the shot put (8.57m) and in the weight throw (8.28m).
- Hilliard took 10th in the shot put (6.28m) and 9th in the weight throw (5.39m).
The Eagles are back in action on Friday, February 5th at the 2016 Maine State Championship Meet hosted by Bowdoin College.