BANGOR, Maine - The Husson University Eagles (7-6) dropped a non-conference women's basketball game to #1/#1 Bowdoin Polar Bears (13-0), 86-48, on a snowy Tuesday evening inside William P. Newman Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPEN:
The Polar Bears started the game on a 9-0 run before Logan Huckins put the Eagles on the board with a made layup with 4:57 left in the first quarter. Two made free throws and a made 3-point shot by Kenzie Worcester closed the Bowdoin lead to nine with 2:18 remaining in the quarter but the Polar Bears closed out the quarter on an 8-2 run for a 24-11 advantage after the first quarter.
Bowdoin extended their lead to 20 off a made layup by Abby Kelly, two made free throws from Hannah Graham and a three pointer by Annie Boasberg before Vanessa Duarte ended the Polar Bear run with her own three off a nice assist by Worcester with 7:52 left in the first half. The Polar Bears closed out the second quarter on a 17-11 run to take a 48-25 lead into the intermission.
Bowdoin cruised the rest of the way for the victory.
- Worcester finished the game with 13 points, three boards, two assists, a block and a steal.
- Megan Peach recorded her second double-double of the season with ten points and ten rebounds, while adding two blocks.
- Duarte contributed nine points off the bench.
- Taylor Choate led all scorers with 15 points, while adding six boards, three assists and steals.
- Kelly added 13 points, five boards and two assists.
- Boasberg lead the Polar Bear bench with 14 points.
This game marks the first time since the 2003-04 season that the Husson University women's basketball team has hosted the number one team in the nation.
The Eagles will continue their homestand on Friday by hosting Maine Maritime Academy in a rematch of last season's North Atlantic Conference Championship Game. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.