BANGOR, MAINE - The Husson University women's basketball team defeated the Johnson Badgers, 66-37, on Saturday afternoon in in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) action at Newman Gymnasium.
The Eagles started off strong on Senior Day at Newman Gymnasium. Husson used a 10-0 run to get off to an early lead before Johnson scored their first points of the game with three minutes left in the first quarter. Sophomore center Sami Ireland got the run started for Husson followed by a solid team offensive effort and a Butler buzzer beater for a 20-5 lead going into the second quarter.
The Eagles offense continued to roll as they used a 9-0 run mid-way through the third to increase the lead. Sophomore guard Hayden Campbell had seven points and a steal off the bench in the quarter giving Husson a 35-17 lead going into halftime.
Sophomore Joan Overman opened up the third quarter with two blocked shots and a bucket right out of the gate. Husson continued to put the pressure on Johnson (3-18, 2-13 NAC) forcing multiple steals and another blocked shot from freshman Megan Peach. The Eagles lead Johnson 52-27 going into the final quarter of play.
Sophomore Logan Huckins got things going for Husson in the fourth draining two threes and making an easy layup. H. Campbell continued to add points for the Eagles putting in two jumpers late in the quarter. The Eagles defense proved to be a deciding factor as they stopped any momentum Johnson made in the final minutes.
- Sophomore forward Sami Ireland tallied 11 points 5 rebounds, and 2 assists.
- Sophomore guard Logan Huckins added 10 points, 4 rebounds, and was 2-2 at the free throw line.
- Sophomore guard Hayden Campbell scored 11 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals.
- Junior forward Mariah Ramos had 6 points, 8 rebounds, and 1 steal.
- Freshman guard Devin Libby had 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 block.
- Sophomore guard Lindsey LaPerle added 8 points, 1 rebound, and 2 assists.
Husson edged Johnson in field goal percentage 33.8% to 26.8%. Johnson had the advantage in free throw percentage 62.5% to 53.3%.
The Eagles return to action for their final regular season home game on February 14 against UMaine Farmington at 5:30 p.m. at Newman Gymnasium.