WATEVILLE, Maine - The Husson University softball team dropped both games of their non-conference doubleheader with Bowdoin College on Firday night at the Colby Softball Complex. The Eagles fell to the Polar Bears in game one, 2-1, and the night cap, 8-5.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin (14-6) took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Allison Rutz put the ball in play and gave Ali Miller the opportunity to score from second.
- Olivia Smith evened the game in the top of the fourth with a sacrifice fly, scoring Briana Brochu. B. Brochu leadoff the inning with a double extending her hitting streak to six games.
- Back-to-back doubles by Rutz and Claire McCarthy gave Bowdoin the go-ahead run, with McCarthy recording the RBI.
- Rutz put in seven innings in the circle to earn the win. The first-year allowed just two hits while notching three strikeouts.
- Rutz and McCarthy both went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Alannah Healy (5-1) picked up her first the loss of the season after allowing one earned run off five hits in six innings of work, while recording two punch-outs.
- Brianna Bires recorded the other Husson (12-8) hit with a single in the sixth inning.
Game Two Highlights
- The Polar Bears exploded for four runs in the bottom of the second inning to take the lead. Miller drove in the game's first run with a hard chip to first that was misplayed. Soon after, a bases loaded walk by Emily Griffin doubled the tally. Jordan Gowdy crossed home on a wild pitch to extend the lead to 3-0.
- Caroline Rice doubled to left field for her first RBI of the day and gave the Polar Bears a 4-0 lead after two.
- Husson scored a pair of runs in the third off a bases loaded walk to B. Brochu and a fielder's choice by Smith.
- The Eagles even the game in fifth inning with back-to-back RBI singles by Morgan Coleman and Arika Brochu.
- Lauren O'Shea gave the lead back to Bowdoin in the fifth with a bases loaded triple to right, driving in Rice, McCarthy, and Samantha Valdivia.
- Rutz hit a two-out single to right in the bottom of the sixth, allowing Griffin to come around from second giving the Polar Bears an 8-4 edge.
- The Eagles put one more on the board in their last at-bat off a fielder's choice by Coleman, but were unable to close the gap.
- Samantha Roy went 4.2 innings for the Polar Bears and allowed six hits, four runs, with five strikeouts. Katie Hoadley earned the win with 2.1 innings of work and two hits allowed. Hoadley fanned a pair of batters.
- O'Shea went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Jen Jones earned a no decision after allowing four runs (three earned) in four innings, with three walks and three strikeouts. A. Brochu (1-3) took the loss after entering the game in relief of Jones. She allowed four runs (two earned) with one walk and two punchouts in two innings.
- Smith went 2-for-4 at the plate with a RBI and a run scored, while Chloe Gorey recorded a double and B. Brochu extended her hitting streak to seven games with a single in fifth.
- The Polar Bears travel to Connecticut for a non-conference doubleheader at Wesleyan beginning at 2:00 p.m.
- The Eagles will host Fisher College on Saturday, April 8 for a non-conference doubleheader at John P. Boucher Field. First Pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.