BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott men's soccer team earned its first victory of the season versus the visiting Husson University Eagles in shutout fashion, 2-0, Saturday night at Hempstead Stadium to wrap up the North Shore Invitational.
Freshman midfielder Xavier Polanco (Salem, Mass.) ended the first half stalemate with his first career goal on a pass across the middle from freshman forward Emmanuel Kollie (Boston, Mass.) that found the back of the net on a high arc in the 71st minute.
Freshman forward Evan Couchot (Mason, Ohio) headed in his second career goal for insurance in the 77th minute off a feed from senior back Shay Neary (Trumbull, Conn.) and junior midfielder Robert Hartan (Hebron, Conn.) to seal the victory for the Gulls.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 1-1 all-time against Husson, as the Eagles won the most recent meeting before tonight (1-0 on 08/29/14 in Beverly, Mass.)
- Endicott outshot Husson, 18-3, including an 8-1 margin in the scoreless first half.
- Endicott took seven first half corner kicks to Husson's zero and 10-1 overall.
- Nick Weinstein (Trumbull, Conn.) did not have to make any saves tonight in the shutout as he improved to 1-1-0 on the season.
- Kollie and Neary each picked up their first career assists in the effort, while Hartan notched his second career helper in an Endicott uniform.
- Junior goalkeeper Cody Gross (Fair Lawn, N.J.) stopped two shots as he fell to 0-2-0 on the year.
- Senior midfielder Cooper Antone (Hampden, Maine) took two of the team's three shots.
"Our performance was simply not good enough today," said head coach Gavin Penny. "We were outplayed all over the field and need to be better. We seemed to have gone backwards from yesterday. I'm tremendously disappointed. I feel sorry for Cody because I thought he was superb today. He was left out to dry with both goals."
Endicott (1-1-0, 0-0-0 CCC) returns to action Tuesday, September 6 at 7:00 p.m. as the Gulls welcome No. 16 NSCAA nationally-ranked Tufts University to Hempstead Stadium for a non-conference bout.
Husson (0-2-0, 0-0-0 NAC) hosts Southern Maine in the Eagles' home opener set for Friday, September 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the 5th Annual Adidas Challenge Cup