Eagles Net Four to Sink Mariners and Advance to NAC Final

Eagles Net Four to Sink Mariners and Advance to NAC Final

Bangor, ME - The Husson University men's soccer team scored four goals in the second half en route to a 4-0 victory under the lights, in front of a record crowd at Boucher Field. Philip Frost (Bangor, ME) led the Eagles with a pair of goals and an assist, while fellow first year player Brian Potter (Waterville, ME) made 5 saves to earn the shutout victory.

Andrew Austin (Ellsworth, ME) dazzled the crowd all night with his front flipping long throw, and in the 48th minute, he served one into the box where Tyler Metevier (Kittery, ME) battled with Maine Maritime goalkeeper William Trace Lacour (Charlottesville, VA) and the ball bounced into the net. Play was stopped, and after a short conference between the referee and the linesman, Metevier was awarded the goal and the Eagles led 1-0.

Nearly 10 minutes later Husson added some insurance when Frost sent a ball long to senior forward Greg Dawson (St. Andrews, Scotland) who played it off his chest, and one-touched it ahead to Zach Emeigh (Ellsworth, ME) who was racing forward from the midfield. The streaking Emeigh cracked a shot from about 35 yards out that rocketed goalward and dipped just under the bar. After the brilliant strike from Emeigh, Husson had a 2-0 lead.

As play neared the 69th minute, Emeigh took a set piece from around midfield, and sent it in to the box that found the head of Frost who redirected it beautifully into the back of the net for the Eagles' third goal of the match. Frost got another one with just 10 minutes to play when he corralled an outlet pass near the right edge of the box, split two Mariner defenders to gain space for a spectacular shot that once again beat the MMA goalkeeper.

That proved to be the final nail in the coffin, and Husson walked away with a 4-0 victory over the Mariners. With the win, the Eagles will host the North Atlantic Conference (NAC) Final at Boucher field this Saturday. 

The Mariners played a fairly even game despite the score. Husson held a slight advantage in shots (18-15), while both teams finished the game with five shots on net a piece. Nate Tipton (West Chester, PA) put all four of his shots on net, but the Maine Maritime offense was unable to put a goal past Potter for the second time this season. Maine Maritime Academy finishes the year with an overall record of 9-5-3.

Husson will take on the Spartans of Castleton State who won their semifinal match this afternoon, 2-1 over ME-Farmington. The game time this Saturday has yet to be determined.