Eagles Take Close Game At Thomas

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

WATERVILLE, Maine—Husson (3-5, 2-1) defeated Thomas (2-6, 1-4) in a back-and-forth battle Wednesday night to give the Eagles a hard-fought conference win.

 The Eagles found themselves in a hole early as Thomas jumped on the board just 30 seconds into the first quarter with a goal from Colby Blondin.  Thomas would extend their lead to two goals on a score from Jacob Kendall.
Despite being shut out in the first quarter, Husson came out hot to start the second quarter, scoring four unanswered goals.
Husson's first goal came from the stick of Brooks Gay, one of his four goals on the day.  Matt Verrill kept the ball rolling with a goal of his own, assisted by Zach Glazier, to tie the game up midway through the second quarter.
Glazier added two goals of his own to give the Eagles a 4-2 lead, but Thomas would stop the bleeding just eight seconds later with Blondin's second goal of the game.
Husson would clap back and add two more scores, Gay's second of the game and a goal from Jacob Boothby, to carry a commanding three-goal lead going into the half.
The Terriers refused to go down without a fight, however.  Thomas started the second half by netting two goals in the first minute, one from Johnathan Wilcox and another from Blondin.
Gay would notch another tally for Eagles, widening their margin back to a lead of two goals, before Harry Heald added goal for Thomas to knot the game up at 7-7 with just 6:32 remaining in the game.
When it mattered, the Eagles came through in the clutch. A goal from Jacob Boothby just 25 seconds after the Terriers' score proved to be the game winner.  Husson clamped down on defense through the last five minutes, and an insurance goal from Gay sealed the win.
Goaltender Nick Zavrotony made nine saves on 16 shots for the Eagles, while goalie Connor Lamberton stopped 18 shots out of 27.
Husson will be back in action Sat. Apr. 8 at home where they'll face Castleton State in a conference showdown.