Men's Lacrosse Drops Tough Home-Opener In OT

Men's Lacrosse Drops Tough Home-Opener In OT

Bangor, ME - Husson Men's lacrosse lost to St. Joseph's (ME) on Tuesday afternoon in their season opener at Boucher Field. Husson, down 2-0 in the second, scored four straight goals leading to a 4-2 fourth quarter lead, before being sent to overtime and eventually dropping the effort in the first game of 2014.

Jake O'Brien picked up a pair of goals between the first and second quarters to give the Monks a 2-0 lead with 14:27 left in the half. O'Brien took advantage of a man-up opportunity on the second goal, giving St. Joe's the two-goal advantage. 

Brandon Corbo put the Eagles on the board for the first time in this year's campaign with an assist from Kevin Nolan. Nolan on the right side in the zone made a nice diagonal pass to an open Corbo in front of the net who faked once, dropping keeper Ethan Rettew to his knees and then fired over the head of Rettew for the first Eagle tally.

Five minutes later it was Corbo again, this time streaking on the left side finding enough room to fire past Rettew once again to knot the game at two-all.

In the third Vinny Visconti added a goal of his own, unassisted, to put the Eagles up 3-2 going into the fourth quarter.

Dustin Brett joined the party in the fourth collecting a pass from Corbo and scoring nicely to give Husson a 4-2 advantage, a lead that Husson looked to maintain for the win.

The Monks would not go easily as Alex O'Neill scored with 9:15 remaining in the contest, followed by a Dalton Eldridge score just three minutes later to send the game to overtime.

The back-breaker for the Eagles came with just :24 left in the first overtime, giving the Monks a sudden-victory and their first win of the season.

Statistically the game was just as close as the score dictates. SJC outshot Husson 26-24 and managed 18 shots on net compared to Husson's 16. Eric Lund made 13 saves on the afternoon while Rettew had 12 for the Monks. Aaron Weinstein had a solid day in the circle, going 7-11 on face-offs.

"I think our guys gave a real good effort today," said head coach Marsh Gray after the loss. "[Husson] showed a lot of heart but we also learned a lot about ourselves and we have some things we need to work on. St. Joe's played a phenomenal game, especially in overtime. We're happy to be part of a great game, but disappointed to be on the down side of the result. We're proud of our guys."

Husson falls to 0-1 on the early season, and will play this Saturday, the 15th at Southern Maine at 12:00 noon.