Eagles Shut Out Hornets as Heaps Tallies 100th Point

Eagles Shut Out Hornets as Heaps Tallies 100th Point

Bangor, ME - The Husson University men's lacrosse team defeated the visiting Hornets of Lyndon State College 11-0 under the lights on Friday night at Boucher Field. The Eagles improve their record to 6-5 on the year, while picking up their second North Atlantic Conference victory of the year to move to 2-0 in the NAC. Lyndon State falls to 2-2 while they earn their first conference loss of the year at the hands of Husson, dropping to 2-1 in the NAC. 

Junior attackman Mitch Heaps (York, PA) earned his 100th career point as an Eagle in the win, scoring a goal and adding an assist. Eagle goalie John Hooper III (Wakefield, RI) made seven saves en route to earning the shutout victory, his first solo shutout of his career. Hooper also led the Husson defense with five turnovers as he roamed outside of the crease to help the effort. Ben Landry (Lewiston, ME) scored a hat-trick and added an assist to lead the Eagles with four points on the day. Senior midfielder Nick Brown (Ft. Worth, TX) finished with three points on a goal and two assists, increasing his team-lead in helpers to 21, and currently sits at second in the NAC in that category. Wayne Stubbs (Keene, NH) and Ben Potter (Chula Vista, CA) each netted a pair of goals for Husson, while Chris Pelletier (Rome, ME) and Dustin Brett (Loudon, NH) chipped in with a goal and an assist a piece for the Eagles. Defensively, Mark Nardelli (Norwood, MA) had three caused turnovers and four ground balls, while his defensive partners Matt Catalano (North Attleboro, MA) and Matt Tabler (Catonsville, MD) each caused a pair of turnovers with five ground balls. 

Husson led in every statistical category, but their biggest advantage came in the shots column, out-shooting Lyndon State 53-15 in the game. The Eagles also led the Hornets in ground balls, picking up 49 compared to 33 by the visitors. Husson won 12 of 15 faceoffs, thanks in large part to Dillon Shaw (Augusta, ME) who won 10-12 draws and picked up a game-high eight ground balls. The Eagles successfully cleared the zone 16 times on 21 attempts for 76% while holding the Hornets to 54% on clears, allowing 14 on 26 chances. 

For Lyndon State, senior Ryan Brown (St. Johnsbury, VT) was all over the field, taking a team-high six shots, while causing two turnovers, picking up three ground balls and won two faceoffs for the Hornets. Lyndon goalkeeper Matt Reynolds (New Fairfield, CT) made 17 saves despite being tagged with the loss, while long-stick midfielder Caleb Noble (Rowley, MA) and defender Brad Collins (Richmond, VT) tied for the team lead with six ground balls a piece. 

After nearly 18 minutes of scoreless lacrosse, Brown finally broke the deadlock with an unassisted tally with 12:08 remaining in the first half. Nearly six minutes later, Brown dished a nice assist to Stubbs on the doorstep, and the senior crease-attackman finnished the play to go up 2-0. In the closing seconds of the first half, Brett found Landry for his first of the game with just three seconds left in the second quarter, and Husson took a 3-0 advantage into halftime. 

Out of the break both teams had some chances, but it wasn't until six minutes and forty second into the half that Heaps found the back of the cage on an assist from Pelletier for the junior's 100th point in a Husson uniform. Landry drew a double team almost two minutes later, and dished it off to Stubbs on the crease for the Eagle's fifth unanswered score of the game. Once again, the Eagles capitalized on a late-quarter possession when Pelletier ripped a worm burner that found the back of the net through traffic with just 18 seconds left in the third and Husson went up 6-0 after three quarters. 

With 11:58 left to play, Landry scored his second, unassisted, to stretch the Eagle edge to seven. At that point Lyndon started to get chippy, and Husson took advantage of some extra-man opportunities. With a man-up Heaps made a nice skip pass across the formation to Potter in the righty money spot, and the sophomore snuck the ball inside the near post to make it 8-0 in favor of the Eagles. With 9:31 left in the fourth, Brett scored off an assist from Kevin Nolan (Norwood, MA) to give Husson a nine-goal lead. With the Eagles on man-up once again around the eight minute mark, Brown found Landry for the score to put Husson into double digits. Potter rounded out the scoring on an unassisted goal with seven minutes left in the game to put the Eagles up 11-0. Husson milked the last few minutes off the clock, and the score would go final. 

The Eagles have a quick turn around as they return to Boucher Field at 9:00 am on Saturday to take on the Badgers of Johnson State in another NAC bout. Lyndon State will travel to Maine Maritime on Saturday in a NAC contest that is set to begin at 2:00 pm