Eagles Drop Badgers, Look to Hornets on Sunday

Eagles Drop Badgers, Look to Hornets on Sunday

Bangor, ME – The Husson Universty men's lacrosse team earned the victory today 16-5 over the Badgers of Johnson State on a grey, windy afternoon from Boucher Field. Mitch Heaps (Felton, PA) led the offensive outburst, scoring 5 goals and assisting on another for a game-high six points. Dillon Shaw (Augusta, ME) helped the Eagles offense get going, winning 12 of 17 faceoffs and picking up a game-high 8 ground balls.

Ben Potter (Chula Vista, CA) had four points on two goals and two assists, and was one of 5 Eagles with two goals apiece, Husson shared the wealth as 8 players found their way into the goal column. The Badgers were led by Alex Petti (East Greenwich, RI) who had a hat trick and one more to finish with 4 goals for Johnson St in the loss.

Husson got things started with 12:36 to play when Chris Pelletier (Rome, ME) scored on an isolation play; his first of two put the Eagles on the board. Heaps kept the momentum going, converting on a man-up chance about four minutes later when Potter set up the score. Heaps found the pack of the net again with 1:37 left to play when Ben Landry (Lewiston, ME) found him again. The Eagles would score three more in the final two minutes to close out the quarter, Pelletier racked up another with :45 seconds left, then Tony Diaz (Brunswick, ME) converted 7 seconds later on an assist by Ethan Pratt (Biddeford, ME). Finally, Landry scored with :08 seconds left, and Husson went into the break up 6-0.

The Eagles picked up where they left off, Heaps scored 1 minute and 27 seconds into the second, stretching the Eagle lead to 7 early on in the period. Potter earned his second point of the afternoon, netting his first goal and Husson was up 8. Matt Sweeney (Norwood, MA) found Diaz on a nifty pass with 3:50 left in the half, and the lead was 9-0. Pratt scored 1:35 later, and Husson found themselves up by double digits. Just before the close of the half, the Eagles turned the ball over in their own end, leading to a score from Petti with just 4 seconds remaining help Johnson St. break into the scoresheet, and Husson led at the half, 10-1.

Husson came back out in the second half and pushed the lead back to 10 when Heaps converted from Sweeney while the Eagles had the extra man with 13:25 to play in the third. Petti answered back for the Badgers just 24 seconds later, ripping the shot after a nice assist from Jeffrey Halls (Johnson, VT). Chris Lloyd (Oxford, ME) took over for the Eagles and scored two unassisted goals in a row for Husson, the first at 6:56 and then again about a minute later. The Eagles went into the final frame with a 14-2 lead.

Johnson State fought until the final horn, winning the fourth quarter. The Badgers started things off in the forth with 10:52 left to play when Petti blasted in a shot from distance. Johnson got another one with 7:17 remaining in the game, Branden Sawyer (East Greenwich, RI), who'd started the game in net, finished in tight on an assist from Justin Nelson (Lakeville, MA), and the Husson lead was cut down to 10. Potter stopped the skid for Husson and scored with 6:05 to play. Petti got his fourth with 2:36 in the game, and that was it for the Badgers. Potter found Dylan Tkatch (Westmoreland, NH) who tacked on one more for insurance just inside the final minute, and Husson would go on to win 16-6.

Coach Murphy had this to say after the game "It was great to play at home today, and I feel like we continued to take steps forward out there. We're looking forward to playing Lyndon at home again tomorrow." The Eagles will host the Hornets of Lyndon State tomorrow with game time set for 12:00 pm. Johnson State will head to Castine, ME tomorrow to take on Maine Maritime beginning at 2:30 pm.