Men's Basketball Soars Past UMF on Senior Day

Photo by Monty Rand Photography
Photo by Monty Rand Photography

BANGOR, Maine – Husson men's basketball tipped off their senior game in Newman Gym as they met up with Maine-Farmington for the first time since November. Finishing out their regular season with a bang, the Eagles (19-6, 16-2 NAC) sent out seniors, Raheem Anderson, Zach Curran, Eli Itkin, and Alonzo McCain proud as they defeated the Beavers (11-14, 10-8 NAC) with a final score of 94-87.

It was an evenly matched clash of talent on the court between the Beavers and Eagles, as they exchanged control of the scoreboard four times throughout the first half. Husson captured their first lead of the game after six minutes had ticked by, as Anderson drained a jump shot to push his team up 16-15. Shortly after, Farmington set themselves back ahead as the two teams proceeded to tie up the score four times on the half.  

The Eagle's seniors were on a roll closing out the first half, dominating the court as they entered into the last regular season game of their college careers with Anderson leading the way netting 14 points, followed by Curran with ten points and McCain with 6 points. McCain was all over the court, snatching up three steals and causing multiple turnovers. On the other side of play, Maine-Farmington showed two players tied with eight points, Amir Moss and Issac Witham, while Tyus Sprague-Ripley came in hot under the hoop gathering six rebounds.

Going into the second half, the teams continued their back and forth battle on the scoreboard until the Eagles broke away on a 14-1 run started by Bruce St. Peter's layup with thirteen minutes left in the game. This gave Husson the largest lead of the game so far separating themselves by 13 points from the Beavers. Up to the final two minutes of the game, Husson didn't allow the Beavers to get closer than five points, until Jimmie Chaisson sunk a 3-pointer for Farmington closing the score gap to 82-79. With the pressure rising, fouls were thrown back and forth sending both teams to the charity line a total of nine times in the final two minutes, with Husson taking the 94-87 win over Farmington.

Overall, Anderson led both teams with 29 points while teammate, Mitch Worcester, hit a season high with 23 points and Curran brought in another 16 points. Defensively, Justin Martin was all over the ball under the hoop, grabbing ten rebounds and three blocks.

For the Beavers, two players accumulated 17 points apiece, Riley Robinson and Moss, followed by Witham with 14 points and eight rebounds. Under the basket, Tyus Ripley snatched up a double-double with ten points and ten rebounds.

With the regular season over, the Eagles are excited to kick off the NAC playoffs at home as they host the semifinals on Friday, February 24th at 3pm. Husson will compete against the winner of the quarterfinal game between Lyndon State and Maine-Farmington.