CASTLETON, Vt. - It was a cold and dreary fall day at Dave Wolk Stadium on Saturday, as the Husson University (6-2, 5-0 ECFC) football team picked up an Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC) win over Castleton University by a final score of 48-0 in the final battle in the storied rivalry between the two school's athletic departments as conference foes.
- Solomon Hassen cut through the Castleton defense to the tune of 152 yards rushing and four touchdowns on the afternoon.
- Miece Loureiro racked up 77 yards on seven carries.
- Bryan Cedeno punched in a touchdown for Husson as part of a four-carry, 35-yard effort.
- Ty Bassett had two carries for 51 yards.
- Quan Soyini was a difference-maker in multiple facets of the game, registering three tackles, forcing and recovering a fumble, and returning a punt for a touchdown. He averaged 29.4 yards per punt return including the 68-yard score to take sole possession for the most punt return touchdowns in single-season and in a career in program history. Soyini also finished the afternoon with a new single-game record for most yards gained off punt returns with 147 yards, while becoming the first punt returner in program history to record two seasons of 300 or more yards off punt returns.
- Derek Barden had a team-leading 10 tackles while registering 2.5 sacks and forcing a fumble.
- Elvin Suazo added 1.5 tackles for a loss, 0.5 sack, and nine total tackles on the afternoon.
- Ace Curry and De'Wayne Smith had interceptions, while Zach Connolly and John Chen added fumble recoveries.
- Moe Harris ran for 28 yards on 16 attempts and caught two passes for a total of 31 yards.
- Mitchell Caron added 26 yards of his own on the ground and was just 3-for-17 throwing the ball on the afternoon, passing for 37 yards and an interception.
- Simon Davis Jr. carried the ball five times for 21 yards.
- Seth Gewanter piled up 13 tackles and forced a fumble.
- Grant Cummings had 13 tackles for the Spartans.
- Husson opened the game, rushing the ball seven times for 75 yards over the span of 4:03. The drive was capped off with an 11-yard touchdown run by Hassen and an extra point by Devin Pickett, giving the Eagles an early 7-0 lead.
- The ensuing Castleton possession after a goaline stand by the Spartan defense, started with a 12-yard run from Anthony Martinez, but a false start on the following play backed Castleton up five yards. A pair of rushes that totaled three yards made it 3rd-and-long, where newly-entered Jacob McCarthy looked to pass but was picked off by Ace Curry. Curry ran it back 18 yards inside the Castleton 10-yard line, where Hassen needed only one carry to add Husson's second score of the game to the board.
- The Eagles added one more score before the break, as Soyini fielded a punt at his own 32-yard line and took it cross-field before turning on the jets and beating the Spartans' special teams unit for a 68-yard punt return touchdown.
- Castleton received the second-half kickoff and worked their way deep into Husson territory as part of a nine-play, 35-yard drive that ate up more than four minutes, but the Eagles' defense stood tall once again, stuff a third-down run and a fourth-down incompletion to take over on downs. Husson took that stop and turned it into points, marching 73 yards in five plays, highlighted by Hassen's third touchdown of the day giving the Eagles a 27-0 advantage.
- Husson's defensive unit came alive once more on the ensuing possession for Castleton, as Suazo and Barden combined for a pair of sacks, forcing a three-and-out and a Spartan punt. The Eagles then took the ball 50 yards in eight plays, capped off with Hassen's fourth and final touchdown of the contest. Pickett's point after was good, pushing the score to 34-0.
- The offensive woes continued for the Spartans on the dreary day, as Caron and Harris had a botched exchange, leading to a fumble recovery and a 31-yard touchdown return by Connolly on the first play from scrimmage following the kickoff. Pickett drilled the extra point to make it 41-0 in favor of the Eagles, a score that held into the fourth quarter.
- Midway through the final frame, the Eagles put the finishing touches on the afternoon with a 19-yard rushing touchdown by Cedeno as he slipped a tackle at the line and burst outside for the score. Dawson Stevens added the final extra-point attempt to cap the game, 48-0.
- Husson accumulated 393 yards on offense, averaging 6.1 yards per play.
- Husson finished with 353 yards of rushing off 51 carries (6.9 per rush).
- The Eagles also finished the game with 147 yards off five punt returns to break the program's single-game mark for the most yards gained off punt returns.
- The Husson defense held the Spartan offense to 131 total yards, 94 of which came on the ground, while forcing five turnovers and sacking the quarterback four times on the afternoon.
With the result, Husson improves to 7-3 in the history of the series with Castleton.
The Eagles return home for the program's final ECFC game versus Gallaudet next Saturday. The senior day kickoff is slated for 12:00 p.m. at the Dr. John W. Winkin Sports Complex.